Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Our Shared Heart of Human Nature



The news says everyone’s out to get us; not a soul thinks outside their world. I’m here to say that’s not true. When you face difficulties, people show their true colors. There’s a vein of compassion and kindness which moves to the forefront, coming alive without volition. It can’t be stopped. This mindset has its own will arising from the heart of human nature, a heart we all share.

To illustrate, I ask you to visit my
Facebook page
. Folks I know intimately, know casually in person, and folks I know only through the Internet … all give hope, compassion, and freely offer prayers of good will and hearty health because they care. Maybe they realize that what’s ongoing in my life could happen to anyone and that speaks to that universal human heart … making the depth of how wonderful these people are no less real and awe-inspiring.



My husband and I visited a son, Kevin, daughter-in-law, Elise, and granddaughter, Brooklynne in California two days after receiving my initial medical news. We considered cancelling but doctors assured us we should go. Neither of us shared our news ‘til a few days before we left to return home. I told Elise and she spoke with Kevin that evening. The next day, we went to a wonderful spot in the California mountains—petting zoo, pony rides, lunch overlooking scenery only God could create—picture-perfect.

Going home, driving down the mountain, we passed a museum in an estate-like setting. Kevin was curious and pulled in. He urged me inside with him; Brooklynne wanted to come along. Turned out, this was the Edward-Dean Museum & Gardens.

He didn’t know I collect glass and love antiquities, so we were surprised to find the museum housed art glass and antiques. As we prepared for a tour through rooms brimming with antiques, he and I admired a beautiful dark blue crystal-cut decanter set with four glasses. Kevin casually asked its price and upon discovering it was a steal, just-as-casually asked the caretaker to wrap it as we toured. I assumed he was buying Elise a present, and we went on our way. Included was a collection of art glass paperweights.



Before we left, Kevin paid for the decanter set, and we returned into the bright California sunshine. I asked, “Is Elise getting a lovely surprise?” but he didn’t answer. While climbing into the backseat, I went to close the door and he handed me the packages … he’d bought them for me.

Another example—I met Sue Ketcham via the 'net and now call her a friend. She and I’ve engaged through, "A Maverick Life: The Jack Kelly Story," the biography I’m writing on actor, Jack Kelly. When I learned I faced a challenging health issue, I didn’t want to leave the Jack Kelly group without direction for any time. Right now, a publication date will be different than prior to this news, and I asked Sue if she’d co-anchor the group.



As soon as she knew my situation, she asked, “What’s your favorite color?” I didn’t answer; with so much coming my way, it didn’t really register. Today, I opened my mailbox to find a package from her. Inside was a beautiful piece of knit work in a lovely shade of turquoise. Included was a legend telling me it was a prayer shawl, created “with love,” every stitch “knitted with prayer” by Cutchogue United Methodist Church.

These instances did for me what the medical news has not yet accomplished—I cried. A lot. And while there’s fear and frustration, there’s so much gratitude for God’s giving heart, that beautiful heart of human nature through which He shines for each of us. If I didn’t cry, I wouldn’t be human, and if I weren’t human, I would be unable to share in those lovely instances of God’s love.

Thank you to everyone. Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, another fantastic post. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful stories and how people are reaching out to you. Continue to stay strong and know you are thought of each day by so many.

    ReplyDelete